Saturday, December 22, 2012

many apologies

Dear Readers, I must apologize for my leave of absence. The school year has been rather crazy, and it's all I can do to keep myself sane, much less upright. To catch y'all up on what I've been up to, may I offer a summary, from bad to good?
  • Depressing and depraved "classic" literature
  • an athiestical Astronomy class
  • a zealotical first-aid professor
  • a story plot come and gone, but a new one rising from its ashes, a-la-phoenix
  • a sword blade in progress
  • a full shirt of chainmaille nearing completion (as it has been for the past 9 months, because I'm so stubborn about readjusting bits and lengthening things)
  • a full suit of plate armor in progress (read, the Mk. I suit is in progress, but the Mk. II overplating is still in concept)
  • a theoretical helmet in progress
  • TWO (read it, 2) showings of The Hobbit, both of which involved my maille
  • aaaaaaaaaaaaand last but not least a half-decent Christmas/Christian necklace pendant, forged from mithril. Light as a feather, and hard as- *coughs uncontrollably* copper
Hopefully that will give you a taste of it all! To be very un-politically-correct, I wish y'all a very merry Christmas! And congrats on bashing Hollywood's doomsday predictions of the 21st! your grand-kids will be so proud.

2 comments:

  1. You've been busy. But it sounds like it is a cool kind of busy. Chain mail and swords....speaking of which, maybe you might have an answer or suggestion since you work with metal. I'm trying to safely snap a sword blade in half - I don't really want to impale myself or my friends. Do you maybe know of a way we could accomplish that? Without falling on it like the character does in the book.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. depends. are you trying to legitimately break a sword in half, or just breaking a long sharp pointed metal thing? because probably the safest way to break a sword would be to heat it up until it's reddish-golden hot (around 2,000 degrees Farenheit), take a chisel and cut it down the sword width-wise, until there's a good groove through. then, you put it in a vice (not lust or gluttony, the other sort), and while it's still bloody hot, either grab a pair of pliers or cool one end that's not being broken, and push it until it breaks at the weak point as created by the previously formed chisel. no sharp edges, no splintering, no shards of Narsil.

      Delete